Download: PE - Curriculum Overview 2017-2018 (PDF)
Download: PE - Whole School Objectives 2017-2018 (PDF)
Download: PE - Autumn Term 2017 Objectives (PDF)
Download: PE - Spring Term 2018 Objectives (PDF)
Download: PE - Summer Term 2018 Objectives (PDF)
At St Oswald’s Catholic Primary School, PE is the engagement of all pupils in regular activity- kick- starting healthy and active lifestyles from EYFS to year 6. PE has the aim to increases children’s confidence, knowledge and skills in PE experiencing a wide range of different sports with opportunities to participate in competitive sports.
High quality PE lessons along with physical activity and sport will directly and indirectly contributes towards helping improve the children’s:
- Physical and mental health and well being
- Provides opportunities to develop transferable skills
- Offers opportunities for team work, working well with others and developing social skills and qualities such as communication, empathy, respect, collaboration, cooperation, listening, motivating and leading.
- Provides children with opportunities to follow a set of rules and become independent learners developing their cognitive and creative abilities such as being able to create, plan, review, analyse, consider, predict, explore and problem solve.
- Learn the importance of the effects of exercise and how the body works.
The school’s P.E. programme of work covers all aspects of the subject prescribed in the National Curriculum. Children must have the correct clothing for P.E. and games. Regular reminders as to when these are needed are sent home to parents.
Our P.E. is inclusive to all children and aimed at providing opportunities to enjoy and progress irrespective of ability. In addition we are able to select children to take part in a wide range of competitions outside of school through the LSSP and other local agencies. We have links with various clubs so that the children have opportunities to experience teaching and coaching from specialist coaches throughout the year as well as certain year groups having the opportunity to improve on their swimming abilities.
Children from EYFS up to KS2 are offered opportunities to take part in a wide range of afterschool P.E. and Games activities, including: football, cricket, rounders, badminton, indoor athletics, athletics, gymnastics, multi-sports, judo, and dance. This also coincides with cross curricular activities with children enjoying Active Maths through the Maths of the Day programme, the Daily Mile which takes place at lunchtime for those children who wish to articipate and Rise and Shine weekly to improve children’s activity levels.