[Letter from Steve Reddy, Director of Children and Young People’s Services]
Dear children, young people, parents/carers and families,
We appreciate the considerable anxiety faced by the whole community at this moment. My team is working closely with Head Teachers to ensure they are provided with up-to-date guidance and support.
It is important that we all follow the guidance set out by the Government and DfE which no doubt will change over the coming days and weeks.
I thought it would be helpful if I provided the following reassurances, based upon the current position as of 16th March 2020.
- All schools currently remain open. They will only close as a result of coronavirus case, if directed to by Public Health England.
- There is no need to cancel school events or activities including domestic trips, unless the risk assessment undertaken by the school concludes this is necessary.
- Schools will not be communicating to their school community ‘suspected ‘or ‘confirmed’ cases of coronavirus, unless directed to by Public Health England.
- Schools are ensuring that children, young people, staff and visitors are washing their hands thoroughly and regularly throughout the day.
- Schools are taking steps to clean and disinfect regularly touched objects and surfaces more often than usual, using regular cleaning products.
- Children should be kept at home for 7 days if they are unwell with a new, continuous cough or a high temperature, to avoid spreading infection to others. Otherwise they should attend as normal.
Guidance about staying at home is available here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance
NHS guidance can be found here:
External Link: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
Schools are spending time in lessons, as part of the curriculum, talking to children about coronavirus and supporting children who may be experiencing any anxiety.
We value the support of our schools, children, young people and families during these uncertain times. Liverpool has a strong tradition of pulling together, long may this continue.
Children and Young People’s Services
Schools and families can find further guidance here:
External Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response
External Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19
External Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19/covid-19-travel-guidance-for-the-education-sector
Download: COVID-19 Update Letter [PDF]